Subject: Mac IIci/NetBSD as firewall
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Sander <paul@wakawaka.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1999 16:50:59
Hi folks,

I'm trying to set up a firewall machine.  It's a Mac IIci with two
NIC's (an Asante NuBus Ethernet card, and a "NuBus A Series" Ethernet
card).

I've installed NetBSD v1.3, which is functional with a single network
interface.  I have a telnet server and sendmail functioning correctly,
and I can use various clients and utilities to access resources outside
my network from that machine (e.g. telnet, ftp, sendmail, ping,
traceroute).

I'm finding that I can't bring up both NICs at the same time, though I'm
configuring them for different networks and netmasks.  (One network is a
/24 net allocated to me by InterNIC, the other is a /28 net allocated to
me by my ISP.)

The specific problem is that neither interface seems to come up while both
cards are installed, but both cards work fine if installed alone.

Has anyone tried such a configuration, and successfully used it as a router?
Any experiences, good and bad, would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
--
Paul M. Sander    | Every day is a weekend when you work for a startup
paul@wakawaka.com | company.