Subject: Re: lc3 + 12M != speed ; more ram ?
To: Sean-Paul Rees <sean@flame.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1999 10:23:24
On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Sean-Paul Rees wrote:
> 	I was considering upping my 12M LC III to 36M, and was wondering
> if that would help any at speed. (really has to help significantly) I know
> it helps a bit with pc unix, but not sure if it would have the same effect
> with a mac.
> 	The system is deadly slow, it gets ~18ms pings to ... itself, when
> other machines get 0.1 to it. It also takes a few days just to compile a
> kernel (sources are nfs mounted)

Depends on what you're doing, but I don't think more RAM will help
significantly... it won't make any difference in ping times; pings don't
use RAM. Strange that it gets bad ping times to itself, but good ping
times from other machines... I don't know what would cause that.
Approximately how much swap space gets used on your machine? (pstat -s
will tell you how much is currently in use). This is just my gut
feeling, and others may have better numbers, but I think if you tend to
use 8MB or more, more RAM would help.

My Centris 660av has 36MB of RAM, and I'm currently recompiling the
userland (make build). About 14MB of RAM is in use, and my swap space
hasn't been touched at all.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 23 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++