Subject: Re: adding a second hard disk to my system :)
To: Greg Evans <raisplin@rcn.com>
From: Jason Powell <redbull@drunkenbastards.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1999 08:58:00
Greg Evans wrote:

> Thanks for all the help I have gotten so far...I am not sure what the
> difference is, but my machine seems to run better for accessing the net
> when I am also running Xwindows...don't ask, I don't care, I will figure
> that out later :)
>
> Next question:
>
> My paltry 250meg drive is too small <g>  I have a spare 3 gig here that I
> would like to put into the machine and then move the user directories and
> I believe the /usr directory over to that drive.
>
> I know that I will need to make the proper partition on the 3 gig and I
> am pretty confident I can figure that out ;)
>
> What I am not sure how to do is mount it so that it shows up as /usr on
> my box like it does now...
>
> I wasn't sure where to look but a quick perusal of the FAQ didn't show me
> anything on adding a second disk, I assume I prolly missed it..if so,
> could someone point me in the right direction..if not...would someone be
> willing to give me some instruction on this?

That's easy.  Mount the hard drive as, say, /mnt/newusr, then cd to it
and 'cp -a /usr/* .' (-a is archive, which retains as many of the
original attributes as it possibly can, ie. symlinks, etc).
Then, simply add it to fstab and reboot to test.
Don't delete /usr off your old hard drive until you've rebooted to test
whether or not the new drive is working right.
To get rid of the old usr, unmount the new drive, cd to /usr and rm -rf
*

My MacBSD box is screwed, but that's how I did it under Linux;
Jason.