Subject: Re: More info on ipnat ??
To: Greg Evans <raisplin@rcn.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1999 04:29:46
On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Greg Evans wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> glad to say that my ipnat setup seems to be working ok..I can get to the
> net on both machines, the Mac (running OS 8.5) at 192.168.1.2 and the
> NetBSD (running 1.3.3) box at 216.164.32.41 (also 192.168.1.1)
>
> My question comes as net access from the mac is screaming fast, just like
> I was connected to my cable modem directly, however on the Q610 (NetBSD
> box) net access is _very_ slow
:
:
> '/sbin/route add 192.168. localhost -iface'
>
> this is also interesting to me, because I have specifically typed it in
> 2x as
>
> '/sbin/route add 192.168.1.1 localhost -iface'
>
> and then rebooted...is it supposed to do this??

That doesn't look right. What happens if you leave that out? Perhaps it's
not appropriate for you.

It does seem like some kind of routing problem. The usual way to run nat
is to have your hostname translate to the internal address, and then to
have your default route be the external address. When the external link is
a ppp connection, "defaultroute" in the options file is sufficient to do
that, but in your case, you will probably have to force it with something
like `route change 216.164.32.41 default'. I recommend to first examine
the output of `route show', and then experiment until you get it right. Do
you have an /etc/ifconfig.sn0 file? Perhaps the word "default" should go
in there.

Also, be sure to check out the documentation at the IP Filter Home Page
<http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/ip-filter.html>.