Subject: More info on ipnat ??
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Evans <raisplin@rcn.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1999 01:14:11
Hi again,

glad to say that my ipnat setup seems to be working ok..I can get to the
net on both machines, the Mac (running OS 8.5) at 192.168.1.2 and the
NetBSD (running 1.3.3) box at 216.164.32.41 (also 192.168.1.1)

My question comes as net access from the mac is screaming fast, just like
I was connected to my cable modem directly, however on the Q610 (NetBSD
box) net access is _very_ slow

for an example:

telnetting to my work machne via the domain name:

NetBSD: 12 seconds to get a login prompt
Mac   : 3 seconds to get a login prompt

telnetting to my work machine via IP address:

NetBSD: 11 seconds to get a login prompt
Mac   : 3 seconds to get a login prompt

web browsing:

NetBSD: 14 seconds (with Lynx)
Mac   : 6 seconds  (Navogator 4.5)

I guess the question is "how can I make it faster on the NetBSD side?"

ipf -Fa -f /etc/ipf.conf
 and then
ipnat -C -v -f /etc/ipnat.conf

after the machine boots to get it running...is there somehere that I can
put that so that it is executed at startup? (netstart.local maybe?)

Also after adding '/usr/sbin/sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0' to
netstart.local my machine seems to 'hang' there for about 1 minue on
bootup before continuing.  there are only 2 entries in netstart.local the
one above followed by

'/sbin/route add 192.168. localhost -iface'

this is also interesting to me, because I have specifically typed it in
2x as

'/sbin/route add 192.168.1.1 localhost -iface'

and then rebooted...is it supposed to do this??

Only reason I am concerned about the NetBSD side is that both my wife and
I are working on a project for my job, and don't like taking turns at the
Mac, especially when the bulk of my work is done in un*x on the server at
work anyway, but a slow telnet is obviously not desireable for me from
the NetBSD side for working purposes.

Thanks in Advance,

Greg