Subject: Re: Cable modem woes...FIXED!...on to ipnat....
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
From: Greg Evans <raisplin@rcn.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1999 11:42:58
on 3/1/99 11:41 AM, Michael G. Schabert was rumored to have said...

>Hi Greg,
>You need to set up your network so that everything's connected to
>everything else...get both Macs and the cable box Ethernetted together.
>That would be normally accomplished using a hub, but I guess if I'm reading
>you correctly, your one ethernet card can act as a hub?

Actually, it is not a card, but a adapter that hangs off the back of
whichever machine I am currently using for net access (but will be the
NetBSD machine once this is set up)

The reason it is like that is because the older macs had to have some
sort of adapter to accept a RJ-45 (but you knew that)..this particular
adapter just happens to be a 3 port hub with uplink (I believe that is
what it is called) as well

>Then, you want to
>set up the NetBSD box to have 2 separate IP addresses. One would be the
>x.x.x.41 from the cable co. The other would be from the RFC 1918 ranges for
>private addresses (I'll use 192.168.1.1). You'll want to set the other Mac
>to use another private IP address (192.168.1.2). Then you'll want to set up
>the ipfilter to filter whether info is going just within the 192.168 or
>within the rest of the Internet's ranges. The way that you set up the
>NetBSD box to have both IP addies is to use both ifconfig and ifalias.

Mike,

Am totally new at this..bear with me when I sound stupid here :)

Now, if what I read above makes any sense to me ;)  I should need to take
the following steps (please correct me if I am wrong :)

1) edit /etc/hosts adding '192.168.1.1       krakatau'
2) edit rc.conf to contain 'ipfilter=YES' instead of 'ipfilter=NO'
3) what the heck is ifalias?  -> do _something_ with ifalias ;)
4) reconfigure non-NetBSD machine to use new IP 192.168.1.2 and use
192.168.1.1 as it's
   router
5) reboot NetBSD machine and all should work?

Did I get that right?