Subject: Re: Cable modem woes...FIXED!...on to ipnat....
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1999 11:41:18
>on 3/1/99 10:41 AM, Michael G. Schabert was rumored to have said...
>
>Michael,
>
>Is there any information that I could give you that might help?
>
>>It depends on the nature of the cable modem. It sounded like the one that
>>you and ken were referring to is actually a cable router, so you should be
>>OK.
>
>The best that I can explain how my Cable modem works is that if a packet
>is sent to it and it does not already have a internet connection, it
>automatically dials in and connects.
>
>I have set up NetBSD and got it working, but following the ethernet
>HOW-TO and setting the default route in rc.conf to the IP of my cable
>modem, and set up my IP address in /etc/hosts.  configured ifconfig.sn0
>to read inet my_ip_address netmask 255.255.255.0
>and it works, I can switch the NetExtender at will to either machine and
>have instant internet access.  The ipnat part is the part I am now lost
>on...The HOW-TO for NetBSD says I need two ethernet cards.  I had been
>experimenting with linux-m68k and remembered somebody telling me it
>wasn't a good idea to do it with 1 ethernet interface because the
>provider could see all my traffic, but that is of no concern.  I just
>sent this to the list and to Dan, maybe it willbe useful to you?

Hi Greg,
You need to set up your network so that everything's connected to
everything else...get both Macs and the cable box Ethernetted together.
That would be normally accomplished using a hub, but I guess if I'm reading
you correctly, your one ethernet card can act as a hub? Then, you want to
set up the NetBSD box to have 2 separate IP addresses. One would be the
x.x.x.41 from the cable co. The other would be from the RFC 1918 ranges for
private addresses (I'll use 192.168.1.1). You'll want to set the other Mac
to use another private IP address (192.168.1.2). Then you'll want to set up
the ipfilter to filter whether info is going just within the 192.168 or
within the rest of the Internet's ranges. The way that you set up the
NetBSD box to have both IP addies is to use both ifconfig and ifalias.

HTH
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.