Subject: Cable modem woes...FIXED!...on to ipnat....
To: NetBSD List <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Eavns <raisplin@rcn.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1999 07:52:18
Hi again,

By some stroke of genius, I have managed to get my machine online with
the cable modem....didn't really do anything too different, just changed
the ethernet adapters (Asante FriendlyNet 10 Base T adapters) so that the
one that has the extra ports (it is a Net Extender Hub) was connected to
the BSD box...silly me...forgot all about a direct connection needing a
crossover cable...only once I thought about the fact that there is a hub
involved did I think 'DOH!'  It is set up as a plain ol ethernet
connection with static IP and seems to be working great!  Thanks for all
the help that I have received (Dan, Ken and Ben).

Now, on to ipnat...Looking at the docs it shows that I will need 2
ethernet cards..

"...if you have a cable modem you wish to route data over, be sure to
have the correct device number (cable modem and your lan will both be
using Ethernet, so you will need two Ethernet cards for your machine!)
and replace the device number (most likely
either ae0 or ae1)."

Is this neccesarily true, or can I do it with one?  For those that may
ask, I do not care that my provider would be able to see the extra
network traffic by doing this with one card.  I have spoken with them and
they have assured me that if I wanted to put 100 machines on my cable
modem connection that is fine and dandy with them.

So far I have not done anything to even begin setting this up.  Steps
1->4 are pretty straight forward, however step 5 is my concern, due to
the lack of a second ethernet card.

Thanks in advance,

Greg