Subject: Re: DHCP, Cable Modem and all that jazzzzz...help
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <knakata@itpjp.co.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1999 10:17:21
On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 17:09:10 -0500 (EST), mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
> oh.  hmmmm.  Is the 28.8 outgoing phone line modem built into the cable
> modem?  How does it know where to dial to on the MacOS side?  Are you also
> running FreePPP or something similar?

Unnecessary.  Those parameters (phone #, login, and password) can be
and should be stored in the cable modem itself.  That's exactly how my
ISDN dial-up router works when it dials out.  Remember, your box and
cable modem aren't connected via point-to-point serial link.

> this means your computer asked for configuration and didn't get a reply.
> However, if it didn't dial, than clearly the server never got the request.

No, no.  It shouldn't dial out at all.  The cable modem *IS* the DHCP
server on your LAN.

> > Trying recorded lease <null address>
> > /etc/dhclient-script: 175: Syntax error: end of file unexpected
> > (expecting "fi")

I suspect this is another problem, but since your box never got a
lease before, recycling a previously leased address won't work even if
you fix the script.

Can't you just make it work with a static IP address?  Do you have to
use DHCP?  Some DHCP implementations are sufficient for MacOS and
Windows but apparently not for NetBSD's dhclient.  I can't offer a fix
for this.

> I vaguely seem to recall seeing this once.  Sounds like a bug to me.
> In fact looking at my dhclient-script I seem to have added a fi , 18 lines
> up from the end (just before
>
> ifconfig $interface inet -alias $new_ip_address $medium

Um, if it was broken, did you file a PR about it?

Ken