Subject: Re: Cable Modem woes ;)
To: Greg Eavns <raisplin@rcn.com>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/1999 23:32:34
On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Greg Eavns wrote:
> on 2/28/99 10:22 PM, Ken Nakata was rumored to have said...
>
> >Actually, I can't tell what your problem is, from what you described
> >in the previous message you posted to port-mac68k.  I can't from this,
> >either.  One problem is you didn't tell us how you've set up your
> >network interface.  What are the relevant lines in your /etc/rc.conf,
> >/etc/ifconfig.*, etc.?
>
> Ken,
>
> Heh, not really sure what the relevent lines are, but  Iwil give it a
> shot if it might help fix the problem :)
>

> ===from rc.conf====
> hostname="krakatau"
> domainname=""
> defaultroute="216.132.32.40"

I have nothing listed for 'defaultroute' for my cable modem.

> ===from ifconfig.sn0===
> inet krakatau netmask 255.255.255.0
> ===
If you're running dhcp on sn0, you don't want a /etc/ifconfig.sn0 file.

If you want to try running with a static IP,  I'd try it not with the
modem as a router, but with your computer set up with the static IP.  Ie,
ifconfig.sn0 would have
inet 216.132.32.40 netmask 255.255.255.0

and you'd have nothing listed for 'defaultroute' in rc.conf.

In addition, if you're not using DHCP, you have to create an
/etc/resolv.conf file which lists IP addresses for the name servers.
basically, the format is:

nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx
nameserver yy.yy.yy.yy

where you replace the xx.xx.xx.xx and yy.yy.yy.yy with IP addresses for
name servers.  With DHCP, this file gets done automatically.  If you don't
have this, you can still see stuff on the net, but you'll have to refer to
stuff via IP address, not name.

I'm grasping at staws with whats not working right though.  Also, for the
record, Ken's more likely to be right than me, so if you get conflicting
stories from us, try his first.

-Dan