Subject: Re: DHCP, Cable Modem and all that jazzzzz...help
To: Ken Nakata" , "Dan McMahill <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Greg Eavns <raisplin@rcn.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/1999 20:47:52
on 2/28/99 8:17 PM, Ken Nakata was rumored to have said...

>Can't you just make it work with a static IP address?  Do you have to
>use DHCP?  Some DHCP implementations are sufficient for MacOS and
>Windows but apparently not for NetBSD's dhclient.  I can't offer a fix
>for this.

OK...just set the box up for ethernet according to
"http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/networking/OT.1.3.gif"

Now I get no errors on startup, however once I login to the box and try
to ping my cable modem I get 'ping: sendto: Host is Down'. If I try to
telnet anywhere I get 'no route to host' but if I then switch the
ethernet cable going to the cable modem from the Q610 (netBSD) to the
8100 (MacOS 8.5) operation resumes normally..

Ideas?