Subject: DHCP, Cable Modem and all that jazzzzz...help
To: NetBSD List <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Eavns <raisplin@rcn.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/1999 04:26:57
Hi,

Just ewondering if someone could point me in the right direction
regarding setting up my NetBSD machine with a 1 way cable modem with DHCP
address selection.

I have read the networking FAQ on this and created the files as stated in
the FAQ, though I am not sure if they are correct or not?

1) netstart.local did not exist in /etc as was shown in the FAQ, so I
created one with merely the line 'dhclient sn0'

2) created dhclient.conf as shown in the FAQ

3) didn't touch the dhclient-script that was already in /etc

So I geuss the question is...where do I go from here?  I have not
installed any additional software relating to DHCP (so I asusme I will
need dhcpd), nor have I seen anywhere where I would make 'similar'
settings as to what is on the Mac side...

The Settings on the Mac side are as follows (for reference if needed)

TCP/IP Control Panel

Connect via ethernet
Configure using DHCP Server
DHCP Client ID               <-- this is left blank
IP address: xxx.164.32.41
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
router address: xxx.xxx.xx.40
name server address: xxx.xxx.xxx.10
                     xxx.xxx.xxx.19
                     xxx.xx.xx.51
Search Domains: my_provider.com

Thanks In Advance for advice, tips, help, flames, whatever :)

Greg