Subject: Re: mozilla settings
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet21.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/27/1999 08:20:58
On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Guy Santiglia wrote:

>   I just installed mozilla from one of the precompiled binaries.
> I can't use the delete key in the location window.  I had the same problem
> in mosaic so I  put the followning into the .../app-defaults/mosaic file:
>
> *XmText.translations: #override\n\
>         <Key>osfDelete: delete-previous-character()
> *XmTextField.translations: #override\n\
>         <Key>osfDelete: delete-previous-character()
>
>   Where would I make an entry like this for mozilla?  Or how else
> should I correct this problem?

If you put that in your ~/.Xdefaults-${HOSTNAME}, (substituting
${HOSTNAME} for the hostname you've decided on), it will apply to
every app. Alternatively, you can exercise fine control by having both

	Mosaic*XmText.translations: #override\n\
		 <Key>osfDelete: delete-previous-character()
	Mosaic*XmTextField.translations: #override\n\
		<Key>osfDelete: delete-previous-character()

and

	Mozilla*XmText... (etc.)

The problem with putting resources in app-defaults/app directly, as
you have done, is that they get blown away when you upgrade the
package.

>   It seems odd that both mozilla and mosaic have this delete key
> problem.

No doubt it's an idiosyncrasy of lesstif. Many terminal emulations
have the same ideas, including xterm without the "back arrow" setting
checked. In most cases hitting the "del" key, which is the lower left
in the cluster of six on the US 101 key PC keyboard, will do what you
want without tweaking.