Subject: Re: Lets boot NetBSD without the MacOS
To: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/26/1999 00:14:59
At 1:17 PM -0500 2/25/99, Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:

>Note that it speaks directly about boot blocks. I think that's a better
>place to stick our loader.

I agree. The booter should go in the boot-blocks. That way, you can make
boot floppies. An even more ambitious booter might even access the network
and allow machines to boot "diskless". That is, with only a floppy.

>Also, at the boot block point, ALL disk drivers
>have been loaded, so that you can make SCSI manager calls to get at parts
>of the disk. :-)

And a great deal of the toolbox traps are available thanks to the ROM.
Most people don't know this but by the time the boot-blocks run, a great
deal of the toolbox is up and running. By the time the system loads, all of
the "hard work" is done.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org - http://www.mdc.net/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill