Subject: Re: How to use CD-ROMs with SBC kernel
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Leonard C. <leonardc9@usa.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/25/1999 20:32:23
>Most drives have a jumper to disable paritiy generation. You could
>probably get away with that on the CD drives. On the subject of jumpers,
>no more than three drives on a chain are supposed to supply term power.
>The only reason you supply term power from any drive is so that the active
>terminator will stay "active" until the drive is fully powered down--since
>the CD's are read only, it doesn't really matter, so you can disable term
>power on them as well. You might need to download the documentation for
>your drives. You didn't say what the physical configuration was, but those
>errors from id 5 (the end drive?) have me suspecting a termination issue.

I'm trying to get NetBSD running on a MacIIsi with 9 megs of RAM.  There's
an internal 40 meg HD, along with 3 Media Vision external CD-ROM drives,
and a 340 meg external HD.  The chain goes IIsi -> CDROM -> CDROM -> CDROM
-> external HD and terminated with an active terminator.  I don't think
that it's a termination or cabling issue since this setup has worked fine
for me in the MacOS.  I've also tried playing with all the permutations of
the non-SCSI-ID selecting DIP switches on the drives, but they don't seem
to have any effect.

The fact that NetBSD properly detects and uses the CD-ROM drives without a
hitch on the standard NCR driver seems to indicate that this may be a
software issue.  The only problem is that the standard NCR driver causes
random bus errors.  The SBC driver has made the system stable as a rock,
but unfortunately, without detection and access to my CD-ROM drives, it
does me little good.

Any ideas?

Leonard

--
Support the Blue Ribbon Campaign for free speech online        ()
http://www.eff.org/blueribbon.html                             /\