Subject: Re: (Off Topic...sort of I guess)
To: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/25/1999 23:25:21
At 22:35 Uhr +0100 25.02.1999, Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:

>Now that we have a floppy driver in the tree, we could talk about making
>boot floppies. NetBSD has the technology to make multi-disk boot setups,
>and we have a sysinst utility which would help with an install.
>
>Is the floppy driver up to snuff for this?

???

>From watching NetBSD/i386 boot, I get the impression that it is more or
less the BIOSes' job to load the kernel from the boot disk, triggered by a
tiny boot loader. You'd get a serious problem otherwise, trying to access
your floppy through a driver that is still on the disk and on the disk
_only_.

To copy this scheme, you'd have to find out how to trick the ROM code into
execute it afterwards. No NetBSD iwm driver involved here. Then, you still
have the problem that a lot of hardware remains uninitialized.

Much work waiting here...

	hauke