Subject: Re: Device not found
To: Three Mile Island <tmi@cmu.edu>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/25/1999 15:48:43
On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Three Mile Island wrote:

> I am installing Net-BSD mac68k distribution 1.3.3 on my LC II (no FPU, 8MB
> RAM, 85 MB hard disk, 12 inch monitoy).  I am having two problems and being a
> unix novice was wondering if you could address.
>
> 1) there is no display output after the booter is finished loading.  like i
> mentioned above, i have a teensy 12" monitor (512x384 resolution).  i am
> guessing the system just won't work with this rather nonstandard screen size,
> but is there a patch or a way around it?  any plans?

?? You should still see stuff scroll up the screen, if it's working right.
Unless your screen size crashed things...

> 2) i DID get it to work pretty well with my serial port.  it booted up to
> single user mode the first time and i edited the rc.conf.  multiuser boot
> seemed to be going fine until it got to
>
> starting local daemons:
> Thu Feb 25 15:22:02 PST 1999 init: kernal security level changed from 0 to 1
> Thu Feb 25 15:22:06 PST 1999 getty[187]:  /dev/ttye0: Device not configured
>
> I looked in /dev in single user mode and it was there.  I also ran the build
> devices option again, but the multiuser boot ALWAYS hangs on this line.  What
> have I done wrong here?

"Device not configured" means that the device ttye0 refers to is not
configured (active) in the kernel at that time. If /dev/ttye0 was missing,
you'd get file not found errors.

ttye0 is the video console, which is disabled when booting with serial
console. Try enabling the getty line for tty00 (modem) or tty01 (printer).
Then you will get a login prompt when the system goes multi-user.

Take care,

Bill