Subject: Re: (Off Topic...sort of I guess)
To: Greg Eavns <raisplin@rcn.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/25/1999 13:37:58
Greg Eavns wrote:
> Hi, long time since I been on the list, moved to New Jersey and blah blah
> blah...
>
> Been playing around lately and since my NetBSD box is for fun and not for
> really _doing_ anything I decided that I would check out Linux-m68k.
>
> While I have been unsuccessful so far in getting it to install, I would
> like to comment that on at least the Debian install there is a really
> cool little installer script that helps users get everything installed by
> booting Linux via floppy after the mac has started up, it then actually
> leads the user through the install, networking settings, host
> configuration, etc.
>
> Are there any plans for something like this for NetBSD?

Yes.  NetBSD uses sysinst for (I think) the majority of ports.  The
sysinst utility should probably do much of what the Linux install utility
does (I don't know for sure as I've never installed Linux before). Thanks
to Bob Nestor, we now have sysinst code for the mac68k port.  I'm working
on getting it integrated into the tree (although I've hit a couple of
snags, which is why it's not in there at the moment).  Once it's
committed, I suppose we'll still need to make sure that booting from a
miniroot works, but at that point, we should be pretty good to go...

Later.

Colin