Subject: Re: Lets boot NetBSD without the MacOS
To: Mike Frager <fragermk@drthunder.ml.org>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/1999 10:58:05
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Mike Frager wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Mike Frager wrote:
> I like this idea. I'm not too sure about the hooks to other OSes but it is
> certainly possible. In this case we wouldn't need a MacOS driver since as
> soon as the driver code is executed it will boot NetBSD, that's where the
> second stage loader would come it. It would basicly do the same as Lilo on
> that other platform. It would present the user with a prompt and if the
> user wanted to go to MacOS it would just load a regular driver and
> continue on it's way.

I guess part of my point was that if we hack the driver, and boot MacOS,
MacOS will be confused that this thing which called itself a driver isn't
a driver, and then what should it do for a driver for that disk?

I think we should be careful that whatever we do doesn't hose MacOS for
that machine. :-)

Take care,

Bill