Subject: Re: Lets boot NetBSD without the MacOS
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/1999 07:54:33
"David A. Gatwood" <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu> wrote:

David> On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, SUNAGAWA Keiki wrote:

>> good.  Old Macs are easily available in store now, but
>> little of them have System installed.  System (MacOS) are
>> not free software...

David> I would suspect that the system software follows the
David> hardware in license, though I'm certainly not a
David> lawyer....  :-)

Though I agree with you in general, original copy of the
software is lost in most cases.  Yes, I might be little too
cautious.

David> Regardless, though, for whatever this is worth, old
David> versions of MacOS are downloadable from Apple's ftp
David> site.  I _think_ it goes all the way through 7.5 now,
David> but it may just be through 7.1 or something.

Last time I checked, it was 7.0.1.  Is it enough?

David> Any machine that runs NetBSD-mac68k should be able to
David> run that, though.  Obviously, though, you still need
David> access to a machine that's running MacOS to download
David> it and write the image files to a series of floppies.
David> :-)

Hmm, installing OS is the (chicken and egg) problem.

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
Happy Hacking!