Subject: Re: Lets boot NetBSD without the MacOS
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David Huggins-Daines <bn711@freenet.carleton.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/23/1999 12:28:44
--uXxzq0nDebZQVNAZ

On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 10:42:21AM -0600, David A. Gatwood wrote:
> I would suspect that the system software follows the hardware in license,
> though I'm certainly not a lawyer....  :-)

You'd think so, but this is Apple we're talking about, not Sun :-)

> Regardless, though, for whatever this is worth, old versions of MacOS are
> downloadable from Apple's ftp site.  I _think_ it goes all the way through
> 7.5 now, but it may just be through 7.1 or something.  Any machine that

Yes, 7.5.2 has been released for download free of charge.  Once you install
a million updates (7.5.5, OT1.1.2, CFM-68k 4.0, LW8.5, etc, etc) you end up
with something vaguely resembling 7.6.

Though, obviously, it's not free software... If it were, we would already
know how to boot alternative OS-es natively, change colourmaps, and make the
ADB work on the IIfx, among other things :-)

So, *finally* Apple will give you a disk that will boot your late-model
Quadra.  The Linux folks have been trying to figure out whether the license
is at least free enough to allow us to make Debian 2.1 CDs bootable on Macs,
but it probably isn't.

--=20
"If humans could communicate by telepathy, there would be no need for a=20
 phonological component, at least for the purposes of communication."=20
              Chomsky, "Categories and Transformations"

--uXxzq0nDebZQVNAZ

--uXxzq0nDebZQVNAZ--