Subject: Re: hangul fonts
To: None <fredfl2@soback.kornet21.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/21/1999 20:52:59
On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 19:54:42 +0900 (KST), Guy Santiglia wrote:

>    I'm trying to figure out if I can view and type Korean fonts on my
> system.  I just noticed the "xfontsel" program and was starting to
> look into that. The first font that comes up on that xfontsel program is
> the Korean han gul, so it appears that the Han gul font is in there.   Can
> any one tell me what is involved in getting lynx or some other program to
> let me read and type the Korean letters?

I assume you want to dispaly/input Korean in X?  Yes, X has Korean
fonts as well as Japanese and Chinese fonts.  What you need is an
internationalized version of xterm just to display Korean characters,
an internationalized editor and a Korean input method.

There's an i18nized xterm called exterm, I think, and for the editor,
you can use Mule (MUlti-Lingual enhancement to Gnu Emacs).  These days
both GNU Emacs 20.x and XEmacs 20.x come with Mule.  All you have to
do is "make USE_MULE=yes install" as root in pkgsrc/editor/xemacs20
directory, for instance if you use the NetBSD package system.  You can
do the same to install the GNU Emacs 20 package.

However, unfortunately, I know nothing about Korean IMs.  There's a
Japanese IM, Wnn, and it's ported to handle Chinese (cWnn), so there
might be kWnn, the version of Wnn that handles Korean, too.

But as Hangul is phonetic character set unlike Chinese characters used
in both Chinese and Japanese languages (correct me if I'm wrong),
there may be more efficient ways to handle Korean input stream.

I think it's much better to ask local experts than to ask here where
the vast majority of subscription population has no clue how to
read/write Hangul by hand, let alone how to handle the character set
on computers.

Oh, and plus, this is by no means a port mac68k specific question.
You should really ask this kind of question on port-independent lists,
such as netbsd-users and current-users.  You can (hopefully) reach a
larger audience on a port-independent list than on a port-specific
list, so you'll have a better chance to get useful information.

Ken