Subject: Re: 1.3.3 upgrade woes
To: Brian Carroll <bwc8@cornell.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/20/1999 17:20:32
Brian Carroll wrote:
> I have been trying to upgrade my Q610 from 1.3.2 to 1.3.3 but have hit a
> snag.  I followed to instructions in the installation notes on how to
> upgrade the files and I'm now at the point where I want to edit the /etc
> files but vi doesn't work.  When I try to run it I get a the following
> error:
> 	ex/vi: error: unknow: No such file or directory

this means that either your TERM environment variable isn't set or your
/usr/share directory cannot be found.  If you have a separate /usr
partition and it's not mounted, that's probably what's going on.

btw, in general, i wouldn't upgrade my /etc directory except by hand.
otherwise you hit snags like this one.  when i say "by hand", i mean untar
the new etc.tgz in /tmp or somewhere like that and compare the files 1 by
1 with what's in /etc.  if there are significant additions, you might copy
the new version over the old, but in general you never want to mess with
the password files.

> I can't for the life of my figure out how to use ex so I tried use
> cp'ing my old versions of master.passwd, passwd, rc.conf and such.  I
> was able to boot into multi-user but I couldn't log in as myself or
> root.  So then I tried using all the new /etc files except for rc.conf.
> Same thing.  The master.passwd file shows that there is no root password
> but I still can't login.  I used the same method when I upgraded from
> 1.2 to 1.3.2 without problems.  Anyone have ideas as to what I should
> try?

the problem is likely that there is a stale passwd.db file sitting around
somewhere.  if running vipw doesn't solve the problem, try running
pwd_mkdb in the /etc directory once you've edited /etc/master.passwd to
your liking.  that will recreate the .db files.

i hope this helps.

later.

colin