Subject: 1.3.3 upgrade woes
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Carroll <bwc8@cornell.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/20/1999 20:05:54
I have been trying to upgrade my Q610 from 1.3.2 to 1.3.3 but have hit a
snag.  I followed to instructions in the installation notes on how to
upgrade the files and I'm now at the point where I want to edit the /etc
files but vi doesn't work.  When I try to run it I get a the following
error:
	ex/vi: error: unknow: No such file or directory

I can't for the life of my figure out how to use ex so I tried use
cp'ing my old versions of master.passwd, passwd, rc.conf and such.  I
was able to boot into multi-user but I couldn't log in as myself or
root.  So then I tried using all the new /etc files except for rc.conf.
Same thing.  The master.passwd file shows that there is no root password
but I still can't login.  I used the same method when I upgraded from
1.2 to 1.3.2 without problems.  Anyone have ideas as to what I should
try?

Brian