Subject: Weird disk problem redux
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: William R. Dickson <wrd@awenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/1999 10:29:42
I was having a problem with booting a multidisk system.  A week ago, it
worked fine, booting with sd0a as root and sd1g as /usr.  I replaced those
two small disks with one larger disk, and it ran fine for a week with sd0a
as root and sd0g as /usr.  But when I tried to add sd1g as /backup/hfs and
sd2g as /backup/unix, I started getting a hang during boot, and had to
boot into single-user mode, mount -a, then exit to multi-user mode.

Now, I know sd0 had some odd extra partitions on it -- two apple driver
partitions, and an Apple_Patches partition.  So last night, I dumped sd0a
to sd2a and sd0g to sd1g, and reformatted the disk.

As an odd side note, the system no longer hangs on boot.  sd1g mounts as
/usr without complaint.

Unfortunately, when I tried to dump | restore back to sd0, I got many,
many timeout errors.  I wish I had one handy to paste into the message,
but I don't; I can duplicate one tonight if anybody thinks they've got any
ideas.

I tested sd0 and it checks out fine.  If allowed to run its course, the
timeout errors eventually end and the dump | restore completes, but I
don't know whether I should have any confidence that the data's intact.

Anybody have any ideas about this situation?  I'm baffled.

Thanks,

-Bill

--
 William R. Dickson -- Consuming the Earth's limited resources since 1968
 wrd@awenet.com   < >   http://www.awenet.com/~wrd/   < >   ICQ: 14117523

     Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or
     a dose of common sense.
                                              - Chapman Cohen