Subject: Re: Mac68k installation
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/16/1999 14:04:52
I've seen this problem when the root directory file  gets too full
and/or fragmented.  The booter seems to have trouble reading a large
directory.  So, try this in the mini-shell:

1. Pick some file in the root directory, and copy it:

	# cp x y

2. Remove the original copy

	# rm x

3. Now copy the kernel - it should use the directory "hole" that
   was just created

	# cp netbsd netbsd.new

4. Now remove the original kernel, and rename files

	# rm netbsd
	# mv netbsd.new netbsd
	# mv y x

Now, see if it'll boot!

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Colin Wood wrote:

> Greg Waugh wrote:
> > Yeah, I installed the kernel.  It was kern.tgz, though?  Anyway, from
> > mini-shell I can see the file there 'netbsd' it's ~1.4MB.  It's on the root
> > partition.  And everything looks okay from there.  I've left the thing
> > blank... nothing...   Same error.  What else can I check?
>
> yeah, kern.tgz is the kernel.  hmmmm....do you have the boot from netbsd
> radio button marked?  if you ran mkfs on the root partition, it should be
> named "NetBSD Root", i believe.  you might try that in the partition name
> box.
>
> later.
>
> colin

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |