Subject: Re: Hang during adb configuration
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/05/1999 09:01:19
Dave Huang wrote:
> I seem to remember other folks on the list mentioning that recent
> current kernels hang during adb configuration... well, I just built a
> kernel from Feb 4 srcs, and I'm getting the same thing. It hangs after
> printing "adb0 at obio0". Normally, it'd print "adb0 at obio0 (direct,
> Cuda): 2 targets". My last kernel was from Jan 23, and it works just
> fine. My machine is a 660av.
>
> Seems a bit strange... the adb files haven't changed in a while...

yeah, there appears to be some kind of strange problem with data structure
sizes and optimization.  frederick bruckman has been looking into this
problem, and he may have a solution.  i'm going to try to test it out this
weekend and will commit it if it works.  anyway, as a workaround, you can
try compiling adb.c with only -O optimization instead of -O2.  another
thing that has "worked" is to do something to change kernel sizes
(frederick had his kernels mysteriously start working without his patches
a week or so ago).  oh, if you'd like to also test out his patches, let me
know and i'll send you a pointer.

later.

colin