Subject: Re: current stability (was Re: Mounting MSDOS Zip Drives)
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/04/1999 07:16:52
On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:46:16 -0600 (CST), Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> >
> > I missed that. Since last week, disksubr.c hooks into the MI code
> > (just as you requested in pr-4999!). I read that as adding support for
> > reading raw disklabels, as a bonus. Should have my new Barracude 9LP
> > by the end of the week, so I'll get to play with this and see how it
> > actually works.
>
> Hmm, maybe it's about time I updated my Q840AV's system from 1.3F to
> 1.3I?  My custom kernel has my own patch to handle MBR disklabels but
> it's not been updated since last June or July.
>
> Are we still having the multiple disk problem?  Is there any other
> outstanding issue?

Since people are looking into accessing msdos zip drives,
perhaps I should mention again that at least with my zip drive and a 1.3
kernel, you have to use the sbc scsi driver.  The ncr scsi driver will not
report errors talking to the zip, but data gets lost, for example

% cksum myfile
% cp myfile /zip
% cksum /zip/myfile
and you get 2 different checksums, then
% cksum /zip/myfile
and you get yet another (3rd unique) checksum

(this is with ncr scsi).  Seems fine with sbc.

Don't know about -current.

-Dan