Subject: Re: Mounting MSDOS Zip Drives
To: None <Matt.Hyre@bdk.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/1999 18:30:04
On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 Matt.Hyre@bdk.com wrote:

>      Is there any 'relatively' simple way to mount msdos formatted Zip
>      disks while running NetBSD Mac68k?  Disks which are formatted on my PC
>      aren't able to be mounted because of the missing disklable.

mac68k-current has, AFAIK untested, support for reading PC type
disklabels, and raw disklabels, too. That went in Jan 31, so you would
need a fairly recent kernel to test this.

>  Are there
>      any utilities available that allow you to create msdos partitions on
>      the mac so that they could be mounted using ms_mount?

MacOS 7.1 and higher ships with the PC Exchange control panel. With
that installed, you can format any partition as MSDOS, and then mount
it under mac68k using `mount -t msdos ...'. Dos itself, of course,
would never be able to make any sense of the resulting partition map.
Additionally (in theory, anyway), you could always _write_ a raw
disklabel, for the use of netbsd-i386--it's just that until recently,
mac68k had no way of actually using the raw label.