Subject: Re: Sorry, a few basic networking questions
To: ayeats <ayeats@ne.mediaone.net>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/1999 06:02:57
Hi,

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, ayeats wrote:

> I actually (in the time between this posting and now) have read that
> howto!
>
> Right now I have ifconftg.conf setup to;
>
> 10.0.2.15 (Same as your bsdbox according to the howto :> )
>
> also, do you mean that I should type in the OT TCP/IP box for subnet mask:
>
> "0xffffff00"???

255.255.255.0 Actually, you can use the decimal subnet mask in the
ifconfig.conf file as well. The above is base16 so ff = 255.

> I thought that subnet masks were in the form of something like this:
>
> 255.255.0.0 (for something where the last two spots can change freely?)
>
> I don't know a lot about networking.

I would recommend that you try to find a introduction to networking book,
maybe at your local library. A little understanding of IP addresses, DNS<
and networking will go a long way.

> My general goal for this entire computer is for it to do IP-NAT, and be a
> web/ftp server.
> It would also be nice to be able to telnet to it from a terminal at my
> local library and take notes directly on my computer.
>
> hmmm. Maybe I'll want to setup a nice (SLOW!) modem up with it. That way
> I will be able to to dial in to it and check my email from afar (Just a
> thought...)
>
> - ---Here is the problem--- -
>

> When I try to even ping (on the bsd computer) my own IP it says still
> "no route to host"

At the command prompt, type in the command

   ifconfig -a

You should see a listing of all your interfaces. Look for the ae or sn
interface (depending on your Mac). It should say "UP". Here is from my
computer:

bongo% ifconfig -a
ep1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
        address: 00:10:4b:21:1a:a0
        media: 100baseTX status: active
lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 32976
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
ppp0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 210.134.128.66 --> 210.134.128.2 netmask 0xffffff00
ppp1: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 296
sl1: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 296
strip0: flags=0<> mtu 1100
strip1: flags=0<> mtu 1100
tun0: flags=10<POINTOPOINT> mtu 1500
tun1: flags=10<POINTOPOINT> mtu 1500
eon0: flags=3<UP,BROADCAST> mtu 1500

My ethernet interface is ep1 (I am using a PC). In the second line above,
you can see that it is "UP" and has the IP address 192.168.3.4. If your
ae0 or sn0 interface is not up, then you have not set up the networking.

> If I telnet to 127.0.0.1 or if i telnet to "localhost"
> it works fine. The same thing goes for ping.
>
> I would really like to be able to telnet to my machine!
>
> When I try pinging my BSD box from my mac, I can see the light blink on
> the hub (and even on the ethernet card in my bsd box!) but it comes back
> with nothing. The lights also blink when I try to telnet to the machine
> but still nothing. This shows that it is not a hardware problem (I think)

Probably an Open Transport thing. I don't think Macs running OT respond to
pings consistently (at least in my expereince). Let's make sure your
interfaces are properly set up first.

Also, if you look in my HOW-TO, it explains how to set up the /etc/hosts
file. This is important, becuase if you do not define the Mac as a host in
the /etc/hosts file, you may not be able to telnet from the Mac to the
NetBSD computer.

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
   Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/