Subject: Re: Sorry, a few basic networking questions
To: Mark Andres" , "Net BSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: ayeats <ayeats@ne.mediaone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1999 18:19:56
I actually (in the time between this posting and now) have read that
howto!

Right now I have ifconftg.conf setup to;

10.0.2.15 (Same as your bsdbox according to the howto :> )

also, do you mean that I should type in the OT TCP/IP box for subnet mask:

"0xffffff00"???

I thought that subnet masks were in the form of something like this:

255.255.0.0 (for something where the last two spots can change freely?)

I don't know a lot about networking.

My general goal for this entire computer is for it to do IP-NAT, and be a
web/ftp server.
It would also be nice to be able to telnet to it from a terminal at my
local library and take notes directly on my computer.

hmmm. Maybe I'll want to setup a nice (SLOW!) modem up with it. That way
I will be able to to dial in to it and check my email from afar (Just a
thought...)

Anyway here is the problem that is plaguing me this couple of milliseconds

- ---Here is the problem--- -

When I try to even ping (on the bsd computer) my own IP it says still
"no route to host"

If I telnet to 127.0.0.1 or if i telnet to "localhost"
it works fine. The same thing goes for ping.

I would really like to be able to telnet to my machine!

When I try pinging my BSD box from my mac, I can see the light blink on
the hub (and even on the ethernet card in my bsd box!) but it comes back
with nothing. The lights also blink when I try to telnet to the machine
but still nothing. This shows that it is not a hardware problem (I think)

Here is some backroung info about my setup:

etc/myname, defaultdomain, and mygate don't exist and they are not
defined in rc.conf
(could someone explain to me the meaning of these files!?)

# cat ifconfig.ae0
inet 10.0.2.15 netmask 0xffffff00

I also red the IP-NAT howto and this is what I did, however I am not
trying to get that up and running just yet, (I only have one ethernet
card as of yet) but this might be relevent info.

-- in rc.conf, ipfilter=YES
-- I created a blank /etc/ipf.conf using "touch  /etc/ipf.conf"
-- I created an /etc/netstart.local exactly as in the howto
-- I created the /etc/ipnat.conf look:

# cat ipnat.conf
map ppp0 10.0.2.0/24 -> 0.0.0.0/32 tcp/udp 10000:40000

-- I have rebooted several times since this

The goal:

I would like to be able to telnet to the server (bsd) from my mac that is
connected to the BSD box via a hub (10-Base-T) by the end of tonight. In
theory, from there I could put it (BSD) in my clothset and not have to
keep running back and forth from computer to computer to try to do things
(Try to make netBSD behave) and to ask for help (Like I am doing now)

This letter took almost half an hour to create!

Thanks!

Sorry for writing such a long letter,

-Andrew

>Hi,
>
>I see a couple of problems. First, you cannot use the x.x.x.0 IP address
>as this represents the whole network. Also, you hould use one of the IP
>blocks specifically set aside for non-Internet networks. Finally, you
>should set the subnet mask in OT to be the same as what you set it on your
>NetBSD computer.  I have a simple HOW-TO for doing what you are trying to
>do, so you might want to check it out at:
>
>  http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/howtos/net-howto.html
>
>Mark

Freedom Is Slavery   -   War Is Peace   -   Ignorance Is Strength
         -1984, George Orwell
--

Go to http://www.acalltoaction.org
and sign the petition to end this crazyness in the congress!

If it does not work ther (it may not be up yet)

go to:

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/ayeats/acta/