Subject: Re: Native BSD booter
To: None <CaptnZilog@aol.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1999 15:51:20
> The mac's rom's find the first Mac HFS bootable filesystem on the disk and if
> there is no pointer in the boot sector to the "blessed folder" (the "blessed"
> folder #) it searches the HFS drive for a file called "system" to boot.

This is certainly how it seems to work for the MacOS, but looking
through IM V a few years ago, I got the impression that you might
be able to boot at an even lower level.  I.e., if you filled out
the disk driver and partition map correctly, you might be able to
get the mac to boot directly to NetBSD instead of to the MacOS.
It's unclear if this

	a) was ever used, or
	b) works.  ;-)

It might be worth experimenting with if you have a machine/disk to
spare.  I wish I had the time...

See, more specifically, the SCSI Manager, the Start Manager, and the
Device Manager.

-allen

--
                    Allen Briggs - briggs@ninthwonder.com