Subject: Re: 2 questions...
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1999 15:30:03
>2) I notice in the FAQ that the SE/30 is listed as having a "NuBus" slot...
>and will support a "supported" network card...  I always thought the internal
>slot was a funny processor-direct slot type configuration and not standard
>NuBus... is it really a standard NuBus slot?  Just wondering if I could kludge
>in one of the NuBus NIC's I have floating around (maybe take the back plate
>off of it, if it will even fit, and just run the cable out the back of the
>system...  10BaseT to a hub...)...   Alternatively, anyone know if you can
>still buy a NIC for an SE/30??

Yes, you definitely still can get them...in fact, I just bought a 10bT NIC
for a Mac SE (NOT /30) a couple weeks ago! (5 bucks, closeout brand new
Farallon EtherMac SE)

Also, yes, it's a funny SE/30 and IIsi PDS slot which requires special
cards. The same card will work in the SE/30 & the IIsi. Unfortunately,
NuBus is not NuBus like PCI is PCI (i.e. there's many incompatible
forms...LC, SE/30, and 630 PDS variety, II and Quadra vanilla variety).

HTH
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.