Subject: Re: Sorry, a few basic networking questions
To: ayeats <ayeats@ne.mediaone.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1999 12:11:36
On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, ayeats wrote:

> Thanks for all your help!
>
> I now know that my ethernet card is "ae" and that telnetd is not always
> running but is called by inetd, and that if i
> # telnet localhost
> or
> # telnet 127.0.0.1
> I can login.
>
> However, even after creating a ifconfg.ae file in the /etc/ directory
> which looks exactly like this:
>
> inet 1.2.3.0 netmask 0xffffff00

Well, that's part of your problem!  You've set the interface address to
the "zero-host" value, which doesn't refer to a host, but rather to the
entire network.

If you want you NetBSD machine to be 1.2.3.99 (in a Class-C sized
subnet) then you put

	inet 1.2.3.99 netmask 0xffffff00

in your ifconfig.ae0 file.  Then, your other machine (your MacOS box)
should be 1.2.3.x where x is not any of 0, 99, or 255 (remember, the 0
address refers to the whole subnet, and the all-1s address is used for
the subnetwork's broadcast address).

Now, if your MacOS machine were in some other subnet (say, for example,
its address is 4.5.6.x), then you'd need a router to forward the packets
from one subnet to another.

Finally, if you want to refer to things by name (like my.host.com) then
you'll need to make sure that NetBSD is set up to properly do name
resolving (check out man resolv.conf) and make sure that your names are
_all_ registered in some authoritive DNS server.

> and rebooting a few times, I still can't telnet to my machine from my mac
> hooked to the unix box in this fashion:
>
> Mac              UNIX
> |                  |
> |                  |
> -------------------------
> | 10-BaseT 7 Port Hub   |
> -------------------------
>
> I have the open transport "TCP/IP" control panel set up like this:
>
> Connect Via:         Alternate Ethernet
> Configure:           manually
> Ip Address:          1.2.3.1     (IP I want that mac to have)
> Subnet Mask:                     (Should I put something here??? Will OT
> make one for me?)
> Router Address:      1.2.3.0     (Ip address I want/have assigned to unix
> machine)
> Name Server Address: 24.128.60.7 (nameserver for mediaone)
>

> Also doing this does not work:
>
> # telnet 1.2.3.0
>
> this is what it says
>
> "no route to host"
>
> Is this a problem with not having anything in either of these files:
>
> /etc/myname
> /etc/mygate
>

> ???
>
> Why is this not working? It is probably something simple... I looked
> through a book called Managing Internet Information Services but it only
> went into how to set up daemons and servers not basic networking like I
> am doing.
>

> Thanks!
>
> -Andrew
>

> ---------------------- Andrew Yeats -----------------------------------
>
> Freedom Is Slavery   -   War Is Peace   -   Ignorance Is Strength
>          -1984, George Orwell
> --
>
> Go to http://www.acalltoaction.org
> and sign the petition to end this crazyness in the congress!
>
> If it does not work ther (it may not be up yet)
>
> go to:
>
> http://people.ne.mediaone.net/ayeats/acta/

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |