Subject: Re: 2 questions...
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David Huggins-Daines <bn711@freenet.carleton.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1999 14:49:12
On Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 11:44:40AM -0500, CaptnZilog@aol.com wrote:
> 2) I notice in the FAQ that the SE/30 is listed as having a "NuBus" slot...
> and will support a "supported" network card...  I always thought the internal
> slot was a funny processor-direct slot type configuration and not standard
> NuBus... is it really a standard NuBus slot?  Just wondering if I could kludge

No, but with the exception of processor-upgrade cards, PDS slot cards
emulate NuBus cards, at least from the driver writer's point of view.

Whether the chipset will be supported is another question, but I think
they only started using non-8390 chips with the LC and CS ethernet cards
(some of which are SONIC, i.e. NS83932, and some of which are SMC9192
or SMC9194)

> in one of the NuBus NIC's I have floating around (maybe take the back plate
> off of it, if it will even fit, and just run the cable out the back of the

It will not fit, and even if it did, it would probably toast your
computer.  However, the SE/30's PDS slot is more-or-less the same
as the one in the IIsi.  It is *not* the same as the slot in the LC
series.

> system...  10BaseT to a hub...)...   Alternatively, anyone know if you can
> still buy a NIC for an SE/30??

Probably not new, but there are a lot of them floating around.

--
David Huggins-Daines                -          bn711@freenet.carleton.ca
 Music: s1204672@aix2.uottawa.ca    -    Bug reports: dhd@debian.org