Subject: Re: Help please
To: Guy <fredfl2@soback.kornet21.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1999 13:20:42
Are you running -current? There are some known bugs involving multiple
disks and Quadras. Until about August, 1998, I was using a /var on a
seperate disk, and it worked great, but I can't do that anymore.

You can use "mtree" to rebuild all the required directories on your
system, but be careful. Especially avoid the "-r" option; it will
delete every file on your system that isn't in the spec! Something
like the following is done at the beginning of every "make build:"

	mtree -def /etc/mtree/NetBSD.dist -p // -u

This does not, however, make the log files required by the system
daemons. The first time you boot into multi-user, you will see a
number of messages on the console to the effect of "/var/log/messages"
not found, "/var/log/maillog not found," etc, so you just have to
"touch /var/log/messages," and so on. Perhaps someone else can suggest
a better way to use mtree to recover /var.