Subject: Re: Sorry, a few basic networking questions
To: <>
From: ayeats <ayeats@ne.mediaone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1999 14:27:02
Thanks for all your help!

I now know that my ethernet card is "ae" and that telnetd is not always
running but is called by inetd, and that if i
# telnet localhost
or
# telnet 127.0.0.1
I can login.

However, even after creating a ifconfg.ae file in the /etc/ directory
which looks exactly like this:

inet 1.2.3.0 netmask 0xffffff00

and rebooting a few times, I still can't telnet to my machine from my mac
hooked to the unix box in this fashion:

Mac              UNIX
|                  |
|                  |
-------------------------
| 10-BaseT 7 Port Hub   |
-------------------------

I have the open transport "TCP/IP" control panel set up like this:

Connect Via:         Alternate Ethernet
Configure:           manually
Ip Address:          1.2.3.1     (IP I want that mac to have)
Subnet Mask:                     (Should I put something here??? Will OT
make one for me?)
Router Address:      1.2.3.0     (Ip address I want/have assigned to unix
machine)
Name Server Address: 24.128.60.7 (nameserver for mediaone)

Also doing this does not work:

# telnet 1.2.3.0

this is what it says

"no route to host"

Is this a problem with not having anything in either of these files:

/etc/myname
/etc/mygate

???

Why is this not working? It is probably something simple... I looked
through a book called Managing Internet Information Services but it only
went into how to set up daemons and servers not basic networking like I
am doing.

Thanks!

-Andrew

Freedom Is Slavery   -   War Is Peace   -   Ignorance Is Strength
         -1984, George Orwell
--

Go to http://www.acalltoaction.org
and sign the petition to end this crazyness in the congress!

If it does not work ther (it may not be up yet)

go to:

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/ayeats/acta/