Subject: 2 questions...
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <CaptnZilog@aol.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1999 11:44:40
I installed NetBSD Mac68k on a SE/30 w/ 20Mb RAM, 1.7Gb hard drive...  FYI, I
did have problems with the installer program w/ the >1Gb drive... had to
install as far as I could and then install under NetBSD the rest of the way
(docs kinda said it might happen, but hinted that it was thought to be
fixed... it aint, at least not in 1.3.2 release from CD).

anyways...  my questions:

1) I put the source on the system from the CD and started a make on it...  25
hours so far... (up to the end of usr.bin)  but several times (2 or 3) it
bombed out during the make with a "Signal 10" (Bus Error)...  I restarted the
make and after skipping over the stuff that was already built it picked right
on up and kept going.  Is this an indication of a hardware problem?  Anyone
else had this happen?  I ran some diags under Mac/OS (memory test, etc) and it
seems ok, but I didn't run for more than 1/2 an hour or so.  Make seems to die
only after it runs for 3-4 hours.

2) I notice in the FAQ that the SE/30 is listed as having a "NuBus" slot...
and will support a "supported" network card...  I always thought the internal
slot was a funny processor-direct slot type configuration and not standard
NuBus... is it really a standard NuBus slot?  Just wondering if I could kludge
in one of the NuBus NIC's I have floating around (maybe take the back plate
off of it, if it will even fit, and just run the cable out the back of the
system...  10BaseT to a hub...)...   Alternatively, anyone know if you can
still buy a NIC for an SE/30??

Or, for thinnet...  anyone have any thoughts on putting a short (3-4") piece
of coax out of the back of the system to the "T" connector...  anyone done
this and had it work without too much noise on the cabling?  I guess I could
also hook up a tranceiver via AUI... I know that would work.

Thanks,

Pete Hufnagel
CaptnZilog@aol.com