Subject: Re: Sorry, a few basic networking questions
To: ayeats <ayeats@ne.mediaone.net>
From: Sean-Paul Rees <sean@flame.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/1999 21:09:16
On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, ayeats wrote:

> I have a few basic networking questions.
> >
> 1. How do you set the IP address for the machine, also will it recognise
> the ethernet card that I have in there, how do I specify to use the card
> for all TCP/IP requests?

NetBSD/mac68k only has 2 ethernet card drivers: sn and ae. Look through
your dmesg for these devices.

/etc/ifconfig.[interface] containing something like (for manual config)
inet ip-number netmask 0xffffff00

then put your gateway in /etc/mygate and your hostname in /etc/myname or
edit /etc/rc.conf

replace [interface] with the interface of your ethernet card, and
ip-number with an IP number.

> 2. Even in root, when I cd to the games folder (/usr/games I think) it
> won't let me open any of them? Do I have to move them to /usr/bin? Or do
> I need to give myself access to them?

I suspect that you don't have them executable. chmod +x filename  or man
chmod.

> 3. Say I want to install a program. Will all binaries intended for UNIX
> work, or do I need to track down the source code and gcc the darn thing?

No, you will have to either get a binary for NetBSD/mac68k (or whatever
your OS/Platform), use the PKGSRC collection from NetBSD, or track down
the source.

> 4. How do I get files over to the machine, how do I "mount" a floppy?
> Does it even recognise a floppy? How about a zip drive?

On my other BSD box, it is mount -t fstype /dev/fd0c /mnt   replacing
fstype with the correct type, ufs, dos, etc. I'm not sure if you can mount
Macintosh formatted floppies yet.

I believe ZIP drives should work if they are in a readable format. Read
the 'dmesg' output, for the ZIP drive SCSI type.

> 5. If I have a cable modem, two ethernet cards (on the unix machine) and
> a hub, how do I share it with the rest of the house? Proxy? Ip
> Masquerading? Whichever is best and what should I use? gated, routed,
> mrouted? How do I set these up? Remember, VERY Basic!

Probably ip routing with natd. man natd

> 6. I have set up a bunch of users, but how do I manipulate their
> privelages and disk space quotas? How about the privelages and quotas of
> a group? If I do both, which takes prescedence?

put: options QUOTA     in your kernel configuration file, or use the
NetBSD generic, which should contain support for quotas. Then, providing
that quota's are turned on in /etc/rc.conf: edquota user
This also works with groups.

> 7. So that you won't have to answer as many questions in the future,
> where (physical, metaphycal, mental, internet, whatever) is there a guide
> to UNIX (netBSD mac68k port would be perfect) for new roots? Almost all
> the guides I have seen have been either highly specialized or for people
> with shell accounts at a college or university, almost none for people
> who are beginning with setting up their own system.

Well, I'd say that you could probably use the FreeBSD handbook which is
designed for such a new "root". It should be fairly similar to NetBSD and
work for mac68k too. http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

> Thanx,
>
> -Andrew
>

> ---------------------- Andrew Yeats -----------------------------------
>
> Freedom Is Slavery   -   War Is Peace   -   Ignorance Is Strength
>          -1984, George Orwell
> --
>
> Go to http://www.acalltoaction.org
> and sign the petition to end this crazyness in the congress!
>
> If it does not work ther (it may not be up yet)
>
> go to:
>
> http://people.ne.mediaone.net/ayeats/acta/

Cheers,
Sean