Subject: Re: native NetBSD booter
To: Sean-Paul Rees <sean@flame.org>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/1999 14:15:25
On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Sean-Paul Rees wrote:

> Wow, it seems to me like older Macintosh can ONLY boot into MacOS. Seems
> kind of strange. I like the extension idea, since I don't have to wait for
> MacOS to finish booting before it starts the booter.

Will you always be booting into NetBSD? If you're working unattended, just
install a stripped-down MacOS & stick the booter in the startup items
folder. If you're at the console, just boot w/o extentions, then fire up
the booter.

The problem is that Apple didn't put in a firmware that's as nice as
OpenFirmware. They put in something which is enough to get their OS's
going & that's it. :-(

Take care,

Bill