Subject: Re: native NetBSD booter
To: Sean-Paul Rees <sean@flame.org>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/1999 12:20:58
On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Sean-Paul Rees wrote:

> I'm curious, I've heard of A/UX which I understand is Apple's attempt at a
> Unix. Does that run on a 68k and boot natively from a 68k without MacOS
> help?

As far as I know, A/UX only ran on 68k macs. It was a full-blown UNIX. It
had its quirks, but it was as UNIX-y as any other UNIX at the time.

I believe the alice project, the folks who started the NetBSD/mac68k port,
used A/UX for bootstraping and initial development. That's why we use A/UX
partition codes. :-)

NetBSD/mac68k boots the same way A/UX did - the system starts up in MacOS,
and then an application boots unix.

Take care,

Bill