Subject: Re: native NetBSD booter
To: Sean-Paul Rees <sean@flame.org>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/1999 11:44:56
At 2:21 AM -0500 1/30/99, Sean-Paul Rees wrote:
>There is this nifty invention that the LinuxPPC crowd use to natively boot
>Linux or MacOS, from what I understand. Its called BootX. Perhaps we
>should do something similar for NetBSD, so we don't have to keep going
>through MacOS.
>
>Anybody have ideas or know if this is even possible?

Ah, the LinuxPPC folks have OpenFirmware to rely on before MacOS gets booted.
We have no such luck on 68k Macs.

However, on 68k macs we have ROMs which will let you load disk drivers or
boot sectors prior to MacOS booting. So such a boot-loader would be possible.
People, including myself, have expressed interest in writing such a boot
loader so it could happen some day.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org - http://www.mdc.net/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill