Subject: Re: MPW - Macintosh Programming Workshop.
To: Coevoet <mcv@brussel-logical.planetinternet.be>
From: David Huggins-Daines <bn711@freenet.carleton.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/1999 10:43:01
On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 11:28:35PM +0100, Coevoet wrote:
> (the fastest machine was a IIfx then).  I've never used it (I had Think
> Pascal),
> but I remember it having a shell, with a make *command* as well as menu item.

Apple still maintains the MPW compilers, AFAIK.  The big problem with MPW
is that although it resembles the UNIX build environment from a distance,
it's gratuitously incompatible with UNIX in a million different ways, so
using it is masive pain in the ass for those of us who are used to UNIX.

That said, it does provide a good enough environment that people have been
able to port some GNU tools to it, and MacPerl works with it.

See: ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/mac/

> Would it be interesting to have that thing for netbsd?  I suppose you could
> compile eg gcc with it.  And then you could mount a macbsd partition to do
> some cross-compiling on a much faster machine ...

Can't you guys cross-compile from NetBSD/i386, NetBSD/ppc, NetBSD/sparc,
NetBSD/alpha, etc, etc... already?  We do it all the time in the Linux
world.  (Sure, I *test* kernels on a IIx, but I *compile* them on a
Pentium-200 :-)

> Since I'm thinking of a new machine when the macosx
> is there, I'm wondering about some scenario's...

Barring a major catastrophe, MacOS X should ship with GCC already.  It
is basically OpenStep-for-Mach underneath it all, and an Objective-C
compiler (and, therefore, a C compiler) is an essential part of the
OpenStep environment.

Plus, of course, MacOS X has most of 4.4BSD in it somewhere anyway,
so why do you need pseudo-UNIX (MPW) when you've got the real
thing? :-)

--
David Huggins-Daines                -          bn711@freenet.carleton.ca
 Music: s1204672@aix2.uottawa.ca    -    Bug reports: dhd@debian.org