Subject: Further printer setup (using filters)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Coevoet <mcv@brussel-logical.planetinternet.be>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/29/1999 23:28:30
Until now, I could print ps-files.

In /etc/printcap, add the line
	:if=/path/to/your-printer-filter

Your-printer-filter is part of the magicfilter package.
(I used psonly300-filter).
I've compiled magicfilter, a2ps,  gs, and still could add netpbm.
Magicfilter combines these apps to print as many file types as
possible (using the magic number).

I can now do 'man dada|lp' eg.

(setup: macbsd - lw select 310 serial connected.)

The macbsd remains printer server for mac os machines.
(since the new macs don't have a serial port, this will be a
possible solution. an usb-serial box costs about 75$ over here,
the price of a macbsd system..)

I've also used mpage, to print 2,4,8 .. pages on one physical page.
(very nice for man pages).  Should also be possible by defining several
printers, with other functionalities (and not mpage, but a2ps).

Marc