Subject: Re: Best backup medium/device for NetBSD?
To: Michael bartosh <bartosh@tamu.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/26/1999 19:32:48
On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Michael bartosh wrote:

> Hmmm first try got this:
>
> > dump: illegal option -- O
> > usage: dump [-0123456789cnu] [-B records] [-b blocksize] [-d
> > density] [-f file]
> >             [-h level] [-s feet] [-T date] filesystem
> >        dump [-W | -w]

I meant "0", not "O", (but read the man page).

> veritas# dump -uB 4096000 -b16 /
>
> and shizam... pretty slow, but it's writing...

I typically shut down to single user for the level 0 dump.
Empirically, -b16 works really well on my Quadra 630. Try different
block sizes to see if that improves the reported throughput. Then do a
"restore -i", at least, to make sure the tape is still readable. :)

> Thanks... Now my problem is that the man pages say there's no entry
> on those commands. I know I installed my man and x stuff well after
> the base system (via the MacOS) could that have caused a problem?

No. Either the man page is there, or it isn't. On my system,

	fredb-> man -w dump
	/usr/share/man/cat8/dump.0.gz

On a default installation, that would say /usr/share/man/cat8/dump.0
and /usr/share/man/man8/dump.8. If there's nothing there, then just
ftp man.tgz and "tar -C / -czvpf man.tar.gz"