Subject: Re: Best backup medium/device for NetBSD?
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/26/1999 08:14:29
Michael bartosh <bartosh@tamu.edu> wrote:

>A workgroup server is  Quadra 950 running A/UX. Quite a cool machine!
>Running a finder and all on top of A/UX.... here is the dmesg output
>
>st0 at scsibus0 targ 4 lun 0: <HP, HP35480A, 9 34> SCSI2 1/sequential
>removable
>st0: density code 0x13, variable blocks, write-enabled
>

>It has a tape in it, btw. What's the next step?

To just test the drive?  Perhaps just try tar-ing a directory.  Something
like

	tar -cv .

will tar the current one.  Without the -f option tar defaults to /dev/rst0
as the destination.

Or, you might also try the mt program to see if you can, say, get the drive
to rewind a half-played out tape:

	mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind

I know for a fact that the drive you're using, an HP35480A will work with
NetBSD -- or at least I had one working with my Q605.  But then again, the
Q950 has 2 SCSI busses, and I don't know what kind of complications that
could impose.

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu