Subject: Re: Best backup medium/device for NetBSD?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Michael bartosh <bartosh@tamu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/25/1999 22:14:08
Hmmm first try got this:

> dump: illegal option -- O
> usage: dump [-0123456789cnu] [-B records] [-b blocksize] [-d
> density] [-f file]
>             [-h level] [-s feet] [-T date] filesystem
>        dump [-W | -w]

did this

veritas# dump -uB 4096000 -b16 /

and shizam... pretty slow, but it's writing...

Thanks... Now my problem is that the man pages say there's no entry
on those commands. I know I installed my man and x stuff well after
the base system (via the MacOS) could that have caused a problem?

Again, thanks for all your help.

-mab

> On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Michael bartosh wrote:
>
>> A workgroup server is  Quadra 950 running A/UX. Quite a cool machine!
>> Running a finder and all on top of A/UX.... here is the dmesg output
>>
>> st0 at scsibus0 targ 4 lun 0: <HP, HP35480A, 9 34> SCSI2
>> 1/sequential removable
>> st0: density code 0x13, variable blocks, write-enabled
>
> That looks to be the same mechanism in my Hewlett-Packard Sure Store
> Tape 5000, but different firmware. You can download flash upgrades
> from HP's web site (for PC's, of course). Here's the dmesg output from
> that:
>
> st0 at scsibus0 targ 3 lun 0: <HP, HP35480A, T503> SCSI2
> 1/sequential removable
> st0: drive empty
>
>> It has a tape in it, btw. What's the next step?
>
> Try to write to it with dd, or just dump a mounted file system:
>
> 	dump -OuB 4096000 -b16 /
>
> /dev/nrst0 is the default tape device, so there's no need to specify a
> device. You'll need the B4096000 is to override the default size,
> which is way too small. See dump(1), restore(1), eject(1).

>From the iMac of...

*******
Michael Bartosh
bartosh@tamu.edu
cell: 409/537.2129
Student Rep
Apple Computer, Inc.
Texas A&M University

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
regard those who think alike than those who think differently."

- -- Nietzsche
			Think Different.
			    Apple.