Subject: Re: adding a disk:
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/24/1999 10:40:47
Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Guy Santiglia wrote:
>

>> I'm tryin to add some more disk space.  Now I have bsd on
>> a partion of my 2 giga external.  I want to try and add
>> a /var file system on my internal 258 meg drive.
>:
>:
>> 7 partitions:
>> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
>>   a:       32      144     unknown                        # (Cyl.    0*- 0*)
>>   b:   268630   260176         HFS                        # (Cyl. 1355*-
>2754*)
>>   c:   528808        0      unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
>2754*)
>>   d:        2   528806     unknown                        # (Cyl. 2754*-
>2754*)
>>   g:   260000      176      4.2BSD        1024     4096     16   # (Cyl.
>0*- 1355*)
>>
>> Here is the disklabel when I get this "no disklabel-- NetBSD or Macintosh"
>> message on the screen.

I think this is where the problem lies.  This is the message you get when
you try to write a disklabel in the mac68k port since disklabels aren't
fully supported.  So I suspect what is displayed is just the incore
version of the disklabel, not the one created by scanning the Disk
Partition Map when the system was booted.  Also if the proper partition
flags are not written in the Disk Map Entry, NetBSD won't see the
partition as a BSD type when it builds the incore disklabel.

>That does look kind of wierd. What happens if you change the type to
>"Root&Usr", instead of "Usr", using Mkfs? That should put the NetBSD
>partition on "a", ahead of all the other junk.

Yeah, the key is to create the partition using Mkfs on the MacOS side
first. That insures the partition flags get written properly. Then boot
into NetBSD and check to see where it really placed the partition by
doing a "disklabel /dev/rsd0".  Match the entries display here with your
/etc/fstab and everything should work fine.

Oh, if you already have a running NetBSD system there's no need to use
Mkfs to format the filesystem.  It's faster, and probably more accurate,
to do this under NetBSD with newfs. Remember though that the default for
newfs is to create a newer style filesystem which is not compatbile with
the MacOS Installer application. If you really want this compatibility
you'll need to use a "newfs -O /dev/rsd0g".

>> And the "newfs /dev/sd0g" command gives ne this message:
>> " device not configured.
>
>newfs wants to use the raw device, /dev/rsd0g (or a). It's supposed to
>just warn you though, when you try to use the block device, so that's
>probably not the whole problem.

You do get a warning, I get it all the time since I can never seem to
remember to use the block device.

-bob