Subject: Re: sysinst for mac68k
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/24/1999 11:26:36
At 4:23 Uhr +0100 24.01.1999, Bob Nestor wrote:

> For anyone who has had the opportunity to do a NetBSD installation on an
>Intel system recently you've seen the new "sysinst" process.  It's very
>slick indeed.

As long as the cursed "geometry" problems do not get you... I have an i386
1.3.3 server set up at work on an IBM 4G drive that does not boot from hard
disk.  =8(

>Well, I've been playing with sysinst for the mac68k port and I'm happy to
>report it's ready for some serious testing.

Cool!!

>With it we may eventually be
>able to eliminate the need for the Mkfs and Installer applications.  But
>this will only happen when the bugs are rung out and it gets built into a
>miniroot file that the Booter can boot into.

[...]

>Unfortunately I'm stuck running 1.3.2 on my system, so all my development
>and testing has been on that release.  It would be nice if someone could
>pick up the code and move it to 1.3.3 and/or -current.

I am in process of packing up my machinery and moving, so I won't be able
to do anything for the next 2-3 weeks, but I have a spare IIsi that I will
definitely try out your code on.

>Hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing where this leads.
>-bob

=8)

	hauke