Subject: Re: Best backup medium/device for NetBSD?
To: Nathan Raymond <nate@portents.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/24/1999 11:17:04
At 6:49 Uhr +0100 24.01.1999, Nathan Raymond wrote:
>For a Quadra 610, I'm intested in a realtively inexpensive backup device
>medium (tape, probably) to back up a 3.5 GB drive using incremental backups
>(non-rewinding, so we can do incrementals on one tape) with dump (or a
>better program, if anyone knows of one).  Does anyone have any
>suggestions/experiences?  Thanks in advance!

I am quite happy with a Tandberg 4222 QIC drive that does up to 2.5GB
without / 5 GB with compression per tape (depending on the type of
cartridge). The drives are a bit cheaper than DAT streamers, mechanically
much simpler and more reliable. The media is more expensive, but lasts
_much_ (x10) longer.
Thinking of experiences at work, I would take a QIC streamer (5.25", that
is; I don't know about the 3.5" variant) over a DAT streamer any time.

With your Q610 (esp driver) you can expect ~200 KB/sec transmission rate.

MOs are not really an option; NetBSD/mac68k SCSI drivers have always
disliked them. I wouldn't trust removable magnetic media (zip, jaz) too
much, and it's expensive.

	hauke